Friday 15 July 2016

Browse » home» » » » » » » A New Meaning for Memorial Day

A New Meaning for Memorial Day



This Memorial Day Weekend brought on a whole new meaning to what Memorial Day means to me.

As a child growing up, we always celebrated Memorial Day by going to Tahlequah where most of my Mother's family was buried and decorated the graves.  This was a family ritual.

My Grandmother - Nana - who lived with us, started in January after Christmas making the most beautiful crepe paper flowers.  She could make them almost life-like.  Then, she dipped them in paraffin and made cemetery arrangements out of them.

We took a full day trip to go down and decorated all of the graves.



So, on Tuesday of this week, my sister Rita and I went out and decorated the graves of our family in Pryor.  My Dad bought a whole section in the old cemetery at Pryor so we could all be together.The above photo is my Mom and Dad's stone.


my youngest sister, Jane....


and precious little Landen.


My Dad has a military plaque at the bottom of his grave.


They encouraged me to have John's military plaque put on his headstone.  The ones in the ground get scratched up pretty bad from the lawmowers, etc.  And they did an awesome job on it.

So, this Memorial Day, remember those who have passed and love on those that are still here.

Judy










No comments:

Post a Comment